The Software Engineer 2 will perform a key role in the development of products. Through research, innovation, analysis of customer and marketing inputs and any other method necessary, the Software Engineer 2 will aid in the definition and development of products. The Software Engineer 2 will design products so that the resulting equipment best meets the product goals. This includes assuring that the design is functionally correct, reliable and robust. The Software Engineer 2 will also assist in the development of product documentation and the resolution of problems found in existing designs.
Duties and Responsibility- General
- Writes detailed specifications for substantial software functions.
- Completes substantial pieces of design, as assigned.
- May lead others in technical work and be responsible for the results.
- Participates in project scheduling/estimation, and is held responsible for assignments.
- Researchers and proposes realistic solutions to the problems.
- Develops particular areas of technical interest and expertise.
- May be a Lead Engineer on a project, with responsibility for meeting milestones and performance requirements.
- May be teamed with another engineer with joint responsibility for the implementation of a function or set of functions.
- Mentors more junior engineers.
- Demonstrates technical leadership on a project.
Duties and Responsibilities- Technical
- Develops a product and software specifications.
- Designs, debugs, evaluates, and tests software to execute the processes defined in the product specifications.
- Debugs the entire software product including software related electronic problems.
- Evaluates and selects software packages, development stations and other equipment to be used in the software department.
- Thoroughly documents ongoing software such that future modification to that software may be efficiently and accurately performed.
- Evaluates and proposes solutions to software problems found in new and existing products.
- Adds new features to the software in existing products.
- Writes and/or supervises the writing of operations manuals and application notes, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Skills and Abilities
- Must have an understanding of engineering design techniques, telephony, and cellular systems.
- Must be a significant individual contributor technically.
- Should be a natural self-starter, energetic, imaginative, and willing to work extra hours when necessary.
- Must have the ability to work with minimum direction, to establish priorities, solve problems, and then move on to new challenges.
- Must demonstrate effective verbal and nonverbal communication skills.
- Must be able to evaluate and select software packages, development stations and other equipment to be used in the software development.
- Education: BS in Computer (Software) Engineering, plus 3 years experience, or MS plus 2 years experience, or equivalent.
- Experience: Must have at least 2 years of in-depth technical design experience.
- Experience in the telecommunications industry is highly beneficial.
- Technical Knowledge: Position requires knowledge of specific programming languages, platforms, and related technical knowledge as determined by the development team to which this individual is assigned. Knowledge and experience with system integration and test is required.